Fill Gaps in Your Smile With Dental Implants in Hamburg Lexington
When you lose a tooth, you also lose its root, which dissolves or resorbs into your jaw. With no root to stimulate your jaw, the bone surrounding the tooth begins to deteriorate. Over time, this results in that “caved-in” look that makes you appear older. You can avoid this by getting dental implants. They stimulate your jaw just like natural tooth roots, so they keep your bone intact and strong.Doctor Ryan Golibersuch on dental implants Read Transcript
If you have a missing tooth, there are a few different ways to replace that tooth. We could do a removable partial, something that you have to take out of your mouth. We could do a bridge. Or we could do an implant.
A bridge is a crown on the teeth on either side of that space, so sometimes we have to do unnecessary dentistry to those teeth on either side in order to get a tooth in the middle to replace the missing tooth.
With an implant, we're able to just address the one tooth that is missing by placing this implant, this little screw, down into the bone that will eventually accept a crown once it's healed. The implants are becoming very predictable. We're able to plan them exactly where we want to plan them using 3D digital technology, able to get a 3D scan of a patient's jaws and then a CEREC scan of their teeth, combine those two, and plan guided surgery.
What guided surgery is is we basically do the entire surgical case on a computer without the patient there, know exactly where that implant is going to go, and then have a surgical guide made that will allow us to place that implant in only that one spot. So when the patient comes in it makes the surgery quicker, which I think anyone would appreciate. It makes it more predictable because we know exactly where that implant is going to go. And it makes the end result, the crown, more predictable as well and, I think, better looking, more aesthetic, because we plan that case with that crown in mind.
So implants, I definitely think, are the way to go when you're replacing just a single tooth or even multiple teeth.
Preserving your bone quality is a big benefit, but it isn’t the only one. Implants will:
- Not Irritate Your Gums – Implants won’t rub against your gums as dentures can.
- Stay in Place – Since they’re embedded in you jaw, implants are a stable foundation for your replacement teeth. You won’t need adhesive to secure your teeth.
- Give You a Strong Bite – You can eat anything, even a crisp apple or corn on the cob, with no worries about your teeth coming loose.
- Work For Many Situations – Depending on which dental restorations you use with them, implants can replace one tooth, many teeth, or even all of them.
- Require No Special Care – You likely won’t need to change your oral hygiene routine. Brush, floss, and visit our office for regular exams, as you did before losing teeth. The fit will stay secure without adjustments.
- Last a Long Time – With proper care, you can keep your implants for a lifetime.
Schedule a consultation with one of our implant dentists to see if implants are right for your smile. Call our Hamburg Lexington dentist office at 859-554-1612 for new patients, or call at 859-687-0975 for existing patients.
Choose From Many Dental Implant Procedures
Several members of our team have advanced training in implants. Because of this, you can get a complete dental implant procedure from us – from placement to restoration. Depending on your needs, you can get implants with either a crown (to replace a single tooth), a fixed bridge (for replacing several teeth), or dentures (for full-mouth teeth replacement).Doctor Katie Bowen on dental implants Read Transcript
Dental implants are wonderful. They're a great option for a single-tooth replacement. We used to lean more on bridges and partials, but in those cases, you're having to use other teeth to restore the missing tooth. While sometimes you need to do that, it's not always ideal. Implants are great because they're meant to last forever, and you don't have to restore the teeth surrounding them. They're very easy. It's very minor surgery. Patients always have a lot of questions because it sounds much scarier than it is. It's very simple and straightforward and really a quick, painless procedure. You meet people with implants, and everyone's so happy with them. They're just thrilled to have their tooth back.
We also offer more specialized treatments that aren’t available at many general dental practices. For example:
- Mini Dental Implants – Smaller in diameter than full-size implants, mini dental implants are less invasive, which means a faster recovery for you. They’re often used to anchor dentures.
- Same-Day Smile – You may be able to get your implants and replacement teeth in a single visit to our office. Our dentists strategically place a few implants that can support full arches of replacement teeth.
- Immediate Post-Extraction Implant Placement – You may also be able to get an implant immediately following a tooth extraction. With just one office visit and one surgical procedure, you’ll spend less time and experience less stress. If you’re getting a tooth removed and plan to get an implant, ask your doctor if you’re a candidate for immediate placement.
With our dentists’ expertise, you don’t have to be nervous about any dental implant procedure. If you are, ask us about sedation dentistry. You can choose from three different kinds of dental sedation; we’ll help you decide which one is right for your procedure.
If you’re interested in dental implants, call 859-554-1612 for new patients, or call 859-687-0975 for existing patients. Our Lexington Hamburg dentist office is at 2408 Sir Barton Way, Suite 225, in ZIP code 40509.