We mentioned in a recent blog that February is Gum Disease Awareness Month. We also celebrate another dental health month in February: National Children’s Dental Health Month. The American Dental Association has created a slogan for this year: “Brush and clean in between to build a healthy smile.” Beaumont Family Dentistry offers some of the best children’s dentistry in Lexington, and our friendly team can help your kiddos build a healthy smile for life, starting at age 2.
Take a look below at some basic oral health tips for kids. You’ll also find reasons families love visiting our office. To schedule your kids’ checkups, call 859-368-8260 today.
Home Dental Care Tips For Kids’ Teeth
If you’ve been a “regular” at the dentist, you may already know how to keep your kids’ teeth healthy. Here’s a quick reminder of the basics:
- Make sure your kids brush twice a day for two minutes. Use a timer, app, or favorite song to make sure they brush the right amount of time. Let your kids pick their toothbrush if that helps.
- Show your kids how to clean every surface of their smile. Help little ones who can’t reach everywhere or clean their teeth properly just yet.
- Choose fluoride toothpaste, preferably one that’s ADA approved.
- Use a soft toothbrush that’s kid-sized. Brushing shouldn’t be uncomfortable.
- Help your kids floss once a day. It may be easier for you to use flossers (we’ve found that kids like fun shapes and colors!). This is part of what the ADA means about cleaning “in between”!
- Use any recommended fluoride products per our dentists’ directions.
- Bring your kids to see one of our children’s dentists twice a year for checkups.
- Serve water and milk with meals or snacks, since juices can be high in sugar.
- Keep fruits, veggies, and other tooth-friendly foods around the house.
Pediatric Dentistry Services at Beaumont Family Dentistry
We offer more than just dental cleanings for kids. In our Lexington office, you’ll find everything your kid needs since our team has trained to provide many pediatric dental services. No matter why your children come, our goal is always to keep their smile healthy for life and keep them as comfortable as possible at the dentist office.
Here are a few of our kids’ dentistry services:
- “Happy visits” for toddlers who aren’t ready for a full cleaning – they can ride in the chair!
- Cleanings with gentle ultrasonic scalers
- Exams using safer, more kid-friendly digital X-rays and handheld cameras (kids can see inside their mouth in real-time!)
- Fluoride applications
- Dental sealants
- Nutritional counseling
- Home oral care tips and recommendations
- Teething and thumb-sucking advice
- Preventive and dentofacial orthodontics for early alignment care
- White fillings, not metal, if your kids need them
- Clear orthodontics and aligners for teens
- Custom sports mouthguards
Why Kids – & Families – Love Visiting Us For Their Healthy Smiles
For decades, our team has been caring for kids and their families all around the area. We truly love working with kids; after all, “family” is in our practice name! Many of us have our own kids, so we know how to relate and handle any situation. We also want to keep your kids interested in their dental health and make sure they feel safe at the dentist. That can help ensure they keep going back to the dentist as adults, too.
Aside from our family-friendly team and atmosphere, here are a few reasons parents and caregivers love our children’s dentistry in Lexington:
- Freshly baked cookies and drinks in our waiting rooms
- Appointments as early as 7 a.m.
- A Smile Saver membership plan that can save your family hundreds of dollars on needed and elective dental care
- Appointments for all the kids or even the whole family in one trip
- The opportunity to bring your little ones to your appointment before they’re old enough for theirs, so they can get used to the dentist and see you modeling healthy habits
- Safe dental sedation for very anxious kids, kids who have trouble sitting still, or kids with special needs
- Headphones to listen to music
- A team who will address any of your concerns and questions about your child’s dental health
- Same-day emergency care
- Three convenient locations near many schools
- Paraffin treatments for parents!
We Make It Easy to Help Your Kids Get Healthy Smiles
Children’s dentistry in Lexington is fun and easy at Beaumont Family Dentistry! Call us today at 859-368-8260 or request an appointment online for one of our three locations. And don’t forget to download fun coloring pages brought to you by the ADA!