At most dentists, getting a dental crown typically takes a week or more. That’s because crowns are usually made at an off-site lab. However, you can get a crown in a single visit to Beaumont Family Dentistry. We use CEREC technology to make a crown for you while you wait. It’s a big advantage to get a crown in a hurry if you need it. But we know you’ll want to get the maximum amount of wear out of your crowns. Fortunately, it’s not too hard to keep dental crowns in top shape.
Our tips will ensure you get a long life out of your crowns and other restorations like fillings and veneers too:
- Exercise Care When Eating Certain Foods – It almost goes without saying that you shouldn’t crunch down on hard substances like ice and popcorn kernels. It’s also best to avoid extremely sticky or chewy foods like caramels or taffy – or at least consume them with care. Crunchy fruits and vegetables are healthy choices, but they can pose a danger to crowns. It’s easier to eat apples, carrots, and similar foods if you cut them into smaller pieces first.
- Don’t Use Your Teeth as Tools – Our crowns are made of durable porcelain. Still, they can be damaged by opening bottles or packages with your teeth. Never use them for those kinds of tasks. Use nail clippers, never your teeth, to trim your nails.
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene Habits – Just like natural teeth, crowns need daily brushing and flossing to stay in the best shape possible. Bits of food can get stuck between your restorations and adjacent teeth. This can cause decay and gum disease. Decay is especially problematic if it gets under a crown.
- See Us Regularly for Exams and Cleanings – Visit one of our Lexington, KY locations every six months for a cleaning and exam. We’ll look for signs of trouble in your natural teeth and also your restorations. We can often repair small chips or cracks on crowns.
- Use a Mouthguard to Protect Teeth – If you play sports, don’t take to the athletic field without a mouthguard to protect your teeth from dental damage. Our custom-made mouthguards fit better than those from a store, so they offer superior protection. With a comfortable custom fit, you won’t be tempted to leave them on the sidelines. If you grind teeth in your sleep, a mouthguard will protect your smile from damage caused by this unhealthy habit.
Need a dental crown or other restoration? Call Beaumont Family Dentistry today to schedule an appointment or visit us online.