Tooth Removal Extractions
Tooth Extractions in Lexington, KY
At Beaumont Family Dentistry, we offer extraction options for those in need. We will do any simple tooth removal. Read on to learn why you might need an extraction and some ways we can replace your removed tooth.
Why You Might Need to Have a Tooth Removed
There are three major reasons you may need to have a tooth removed:
- Tooth decay – If a tooth decays to the point that the infection reaches the inner dental pulp of your tooth, you may be in a lot of pain. Oftentimes, we can treat the infection and eliminate your pain using root canal therapy. However, if the infection is too extensive, even for a root canal, we may need to remove the tooth.
- Periodontal disease – Gum disease can cause jawbone deterioration and the loosening of teeth. If you have suffered from extreme periodontal disease, treating it may require teeth to be removed.
- Overcrowding – Sometimes teeth need to be removed for orthodontic reasons. If your teeth are too crowded together, a tooth may need to be removed in order to make room for your other teeth. This can help to prevent the need for braces (or help make braces more successful) or help ward off infection due to being unable to reach certain parts of your mouth.
If you are in pain or think you may need to have a tooth removed due to one of these reasons, please contact our office immediately.
Tooth Replacement Options
When we remove a tooth, oftentimes we recommend replacing it right away. There are cosmetic as well as health reasons to do this. Aside from simply avoiding leaving a gap in your smile, replacing your tooth can help you fend off unwanted tooth movement and jawbone deterioration. Below are just some of the ways we can help you replace your removed tooth.
- Dental implants – Our most reliable and most comprehensive tooth replacement option. Dental implants work just like real teeth in that they are fused to the jawbone in order to discourage deterioration. They also prevent teeth from shifting due to a gap and are designed to look as realistic and beautiful as possible. Learn more about dental implants here.
- Dental bridges – Bridges are a compilation of crowns that are used to literally “bridge” the gap left by a lost or removed tooth. We offer CEREC same-day fixed bridges as well as implant-supported bridges. While fixed bridges handle the aesthetic issue and will keep everything lined up, they will not help with bone deterioration. Implant-supported bridges solve all three problems. To learn more about how bridges work, visit our page here.
- Dentures – If you have had multiple teeth removed, we can sometimes fill the gap with a fixed bridge. However, more than likely, we will suggest a partial denture, or even a full set if you are missing all of your teeth. Implant-supported bridges also may solve this problem – they work much like a partial denture that is anchored by implants. Find out more about our denture options here.
Immediate Implant Placement After an Extraction
Sometimes, we can even replace your teeth immediately after tooth extraction. We offer bone grafting surgery in order to improve bone structure before placing an implant, if necessary. We also offer mini dental implants, a type of implant that is easier and quicker to place. Learn more about mini dental implants here.
Make an Appointment
If you believe you may need to have a tooth removed, please call our office as soon as possible. We can make the experience quick and painless. We also offer many different tooth replacement options and will work with you to help you decide which solution is best for you. To reach our office, please call us or send us a message using our online form. We will be happy to help you get the care you need.